It is undeniable that the environment where we sleep creates a significant psychological impact on all of us. A disorganised bedroom is not only a practical annoyance, but it can also lead to increased stress levels and have a negative impact on our rest time.
If you are looking to maintain your bedroom clutter free, it is a must for you to have adequate and proper storage. This is why it is important for you to choose your wardrobe carefully.
Mentioned below are some of the most important considerations for choosing the right wardrobe.
- There are many different types of wardrobes available such as freestanding, sliding, fitted, mirrored, three-doored, two-doored, etc. Also, there are unlimited options with regards to the configuration and combination of shelves, drawers, shoe racks, hanging space, etc. At the very beginning, try to figure out the type of storage space you primarily require. Once you understand your exact requirement, think about the functionalities your wardrobe should offer. This will help you decide on both the interior as well as exterior specifications.
- Depending on the types of clothes you are looking to store, decide on the hanging space length you need. Jumpers, short dresses, and suits can be accommodated in half-height rails. However, the full height of the wardrobe may be required for hanging dressing gowns, evening gowns, and long coats in the wardrobe. Also, consider the depth of the shelves and drawers. Shelves that are too deep often create black holes where finding clothes can be a struggle.
- Your next step is to decide on the size of the wardrobe, based on where it will go in your bedroom. Please be mindful of the fact that large wardrobes can be difficult to move around. However, if your space and budget permits, go as big as possible. Also, in order to maximise storage, go as tall as you can. This additional space can be your lifesaver when it comes to stashing spare bed materials, and occasional or seasonal items that are not required on a regular basis.
- The design of your wardrobe can contribute significantly towards your bedroom’s overall taste and theme. Depending on the theme of your bedroom, you may opt for subtle accomplices such as cupped insets or ring pulls, slim brushed-chrome handles, ornate glass knobs, and much more. You may also want your new wardrobe to complement other furniture pieces like dressing table or bedside cabinet.
- One of the biggest contributors to the style and practicality of any furniture is its colour, material, and surface finish. Solid wood, particleboard, high-gloss finish, matt finish, and painted finish are some of the most common options. There are also modular options, meaning it is possible for you to create a bespoke look by mixing and matching.
- Finally, before selecting your wardrobe, don’t forget to pay attention to factors such as delivery, assembly, and safety. Check with the seller whether the price of the wardrobe includes the delivery cost. In general, wardrobes are extremely heavy and bulky. This means that you would also require help for its assembly. Pre-assembled products can be good options, but these wardrobes are generally more expensive. As wardrobes are generally freestanding and tall, make sure that the item is securely fastened to the wall or anchored to the floor.
At Signature Joinery & Design (SJD), we have an exquisite range of freestanding and custom fitted furniture. Please contact our experts today to take home the perfect wardrobe for your bedroom.